Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baby's First 5k & Shopping Adventures.

Saturday morning was the Irish Jig 5k race - the first race of the season and your first race ever! This was the first race I ever ran two years ago and it's one of my favorites. The course is pretty flat which is great for me (hills are my nemesis!) and it feels good to get out there and run after the long winter. This year was no different - the weather was great, sun was shining, lots of people and to top it off I was really excited to run with you!

Your dad ran too, but we didn't run together because I knew I was going to be a lot slower. I felt really good running, but I have to be really conservative now and not run myself to the point of exhaustion - so I took my sweet old time :) My only complaint from the race was that they didn't have any water stations so I went the whole 3 miles without water - and I was thirsty!! Luckily your dad finished ahead of me and ran back a water bottle to me. But I did finish feeling really good - our time was 39:09, definitely not my greatest time ever considering I ran this race in 27:09 last year... but a lot has changed since then :) Here is a picture of us after the race, on our way to breakfast:

After we had breakfast and showered, we decided to head out to Babies'R'Us to register for some of your gear. That store is totally overwhelming - especially for us first time parents. There are just so many options and choices for every little thing, and its tough to make decisions about some of this stuff when we really have no idea what we're doing. But your dad and I got our little scanner gun and slowly made our way around the store, picking out some stuff. I feel like we spent most of our time just kind of stumbling around, staring at shelves full of baby spoons and pacifiers trying to magically guess exactly which of the 30 different bathtubs you would like the best... yikes.

I don't think it helped our confidence that we spent about the first half an hour that we were in the store trying to figure out how to detach the car seat from the base. It turns out it's pretty easy once you figure out which one of the twelve buttons you're supposed to be pushing to get it to release... We just had to laugh at ourselves, standing in the aisle with 3 carseats on the floor, trying to shake them free. I got a mental picture of us for many years to come, trying to figure out all the little things that we have no idea how to do yet - and I hope we'll still be laughing with each other! In the end we did figure out the car seat and we registered for lots of other stuff for you - hopefully you like it all!!

All my love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment