Friday, February 24, 2012

Appointment Update & Mom's First Brag.

Last night was our 18 week appointment with the doctor - it was pretty routine, but still so awesome. I went in and they took my weight, blood pressure and a urine sample, everything was good - no signs of high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia) or gestational diabetes. My weight is up about 4 pounds from last month, which the doctor says is right on track with how far along I am - yay! My belly is also measuring at the right size - a good sign considering the amount of PB&J sandwiches that have been stuffed in there :)

Then, the cool part - hearing your heartbeat :) Doctor put the doppler down on my belly and we could immediately hear your woosh-woosh-woosh little heartbeat - then in about two seconds it was gone. So she moved the wand a bit and right away we heard it again. For about a second. And then nothing but static again. Then there is was again! And gone again... then the doctor started laughing - huh?!? What's going on? We had just been talking about how I thought I might be feeling you moving around, but I wasn't 100% sure. Well, the doctor said, "Baby is being a little stinker and moving so much that I can't pick up enough consecutive beats to get a heart rate. He or she is most definitely kicking around in there!"

Well that made me laugh so hard and dad was laughing too - and you just kept on squirming around :) Not that I haven't loved you up to this point, but for some reason at that moment - I just realized how much I really do love you already. I was just so proud of you - kicking and rolling and dancing around, it seemed like you decided it was time to show off and let us know how strong you are :) And I loved every second of it - in fact I'm still grinning ear-to-ear as I write this! Eventually you did slow down just enough for the doctor to get your heart rate of 138 bpm which was great too. But still, as we were driving home I said to dad - I think I'm having the first moment where I want to call people and brag about how darn cute my kid is, 'cause really - you are freaking adorable!! It was just a great night :)

Last night, dad also felt you kick his hand through my belly which was so awesome :) And now this morning I think you must be enjoying the music I'm listening to, because you are definitely having a little dance party in there! It feels SO cool to know that you are absolutely happy in there and that you are thriving. I'm just so proud of you - keep it up baby :)

Our next appointment is in three weeks on March 15 - and that will be the really fun one! We will get to spend lots of time seeing you on the ultrasound as they take all your measurements and check out all of your body to make sure you are growing healthy and happy in there :) I'm getting really excited for that!! I just hope you aren't doing too many ninja moves at that point - the doctors need to get a nice long look at you, so you'll have to behave a little bit then. But until then - keep on partying Squirms!!

All my love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment